Saturday, July 13, 2013

Bobbies on the beat . . .

These are merely a few of the pictures that I have managed to take in the past day and a half.  We covered the entire south-western part of London by foot today, so I am beyond exhausted.  In so many ways, I feel at home here but it is ridiculously unavoidable to look American to EVERYONE.  One of my leading professors said that Americans are highly distinguishable by the way they walk due to our widened sense of personal space.  She then added that this was even more dramatized by Texans, so there ya go.  I am officially labeled to the world, haha.  TIS MY LIFE.  Also, my Tube (also called the Underground or what we know as the subway system) passes won't scan so every time I go in or out (they make you scan them twice), I have to find a guard (or a bobbie).  This is perhaps the most frustrating but goodness knows I will make the best of it!  Interesting fact for the day: only 20% of all British police carry firearms... So in other words, bobbies on the beat ain't packin' no heat! 























2 comments:

  1. Ack! First report from across the pond! Firstly, these pictures are awesome! You got to see the Guards at Buckingham with their neat-o, black, fluffy hats, and you were outside the Parliament building! They tug at my little British heartstrings. Secondly, the thing about Texans having a distinct walk more so than Americans is hilarious. I think it's true though. I wonder how people in California walk: less widely, longer strides (my attempt at a joke)? Lastly, miss ya bunches! --Jamil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you would have loved it! We walked that whole area and I have a couple of more stories, especially about the changing of the guard. Not to give away too many surprises but I am going to church this morning at St. Paul's :D (in my Texan walk, of course)AND I MISS YOU TOO! This is the London version of story time haha

    ReplyDelete