Monday, July 29, 2013

Rolling Hills O' the Borders



On Sunday we traveled to the border land between Scotland and England, which is some of the most beautiful countryside I have ever seen.  We had to listen to the song above as we went and I felt that everyone else should listen to it as they read the blog.  The funny part?  It actually grows on you, especially since it is on repeat right now while I work. . .
Anyway, there is some really interesting history about the people that created the in-between clans called The Borders.  They claim neither to be Scottish nor English.  They are simply from The Borders.  This, interestingly enough is where Sir Walter Scott is from and where his home, Abbotsford, is located.
     Once again, I truly hope that everyone knows who this is.  If not, comment below and I would love to talk to you about it.  But not only was he a successful lawyer and author, Walter Scott also invented the kilt.  When King George III requested a special presence with him, he ordered for a new outfit to be fashioned for him.  An outfit of tartan (what we call plaid) was created but Scott was afraid that it would reveal to much of his "crown jewels" so he requested that it be pleated: thus the kilt was born.  The controversy now, of course, is whether or not the Scottish invented it or the English . . .










What I find interesting abut myself in relation to his house is that based on my personality and personal interest, Sir Walter Scott's house is perfect for me.  It is my favorite by far and I could easily see myself living there for forever.

Pulling myself away from Abbotsford, we traveled to a sleepy little town called Melrose where there are some abbey remains.  Amongst the ruins, it is rumored that the heart of Robert the Bruce is buried there . . .











"When I die, bury me low
Where I can hear the bonnie Tweed flow
A sweeter place I'll never know
Than the rolling hills o' the borders . . ."

No comments:

Post a Comment